October is Kindermaand in the Netherlands, and that means there are cool things for kids to do all over the country, including in Groningen! Whether you are looking for a spooky fun Halloween experience or an educational adventure, there is something for every child.
What to do in October in Groningen during Kindermaand:
- All month, you can explore the medieval monastery in Ter Apel. Explore the Kloosterkerk, discover building traces, listen to singing and search for ‘faces’ in the wooden choir stalls. A scavenger hunt reveals the life of monks, including the role of Saint Odilia. Complete the tasks and a souvenir awaits at reception.
- Experience a unique steam train ride at museum railway STAR on 22, 24, 25 and 29 October. Discover the history of the railway at the accompanying museum. On Sunday 29 October, there is even a Teddy Bear Express! Perfect for train lovers.
- Enjoy a special children’s show at the Planetarium.
- On 25 October, you can tinker with autumn finds at the Coendersborg in Nuis. Collect natural materials such as pine cones, bark and leaves around the borg and create beautiful works of art. Do you already have an idea or let your creativity run wild while crafting?
- Visit the horror village with film scares, explore the underwater haunted house, dance along in the horror show, do the horror scavenger hunt and discover the exciting horror wall at Nienoord Groningen!
- Discover seal centre Pieterburen this autumn holiday. Watch daily seal care and take part in various activities in October and during the holidays.
Photography via Visit Groningen – Stella Dekker