Table of Contents Show
Beautiful tulip fields can also be discovered in Groningen, especially in the province. And that may not be known to many people. One advantage over more famous flower regions the Randstad, is that it is not so crowded with tourists here. And that makes tulip viewing a lot easier. Find out where and when to spot tulips in Groningen on Inside Groningen.
Flower season: when the tulip fields are in bloom
The tulip flowering season runs from mid/late April to early May, depending on how cold it has been during the winter.
Tip: Use this link on Naardebollen.nl to see if the flower fields are already in bloom
Locations of the tulip fields in Groningen
Scattered across Groningen are several tulip fields, including in Uithuizermeeden, Spijk, Oosternieland and Kloosterburen. These locations offer wonderful opportunities for a quiet moment in nature or for taking impressive photos.
Walking routes tulip fields
Along the tulip fields on the Hogeland, several walking routes have been set out by the Rotary Club Uithuizen. During these walks, you can enjoy the colourful Groningen landscape. In spring, the tulips of the bulb farmers in North Groningen are in full bloom, which makes these walks extra special.
The walks have lengths of 10, 20 and 30 kilometres. The shortest 10-kilometre route starts at the small harbour Oldenzijl Meedstermaarpad and takes you past Zijldijk and Oosternieland, where you can also admire the tulip fields.
For cycling enthusiasts, there are also two different cycling routes along the tulip fields. These routes have a length of 33 and 65 kilometres respectively and lead past picturesque villages with beautiful views. The longest cycle route even leads past as many as 14 bulb fields.
Tulip fields walking routes 2024
Make a note in your diary: Saturday 27 April 2024 will be a day full of flowers for walkers, cyclists and motorcyclists in various distances.
Along the route, enjoy the beautifully blooming bulb fields. Several stops are planned for a snack and a drink. From 12:00 to 14:00 there will be extra entertainment along the walking route and from 14:00 to 16:00 at the finish, provided by theatre group Opnieuw.
At the start, each participant will receive a route map indicating the bulb fields. At the end of the walk, you will be warmly welcomed by Rotary Club volunteers, you can buy tulips and there will be food and drinks to socialise with.
Start and end point of all routes:
Kruize Bloembollen, Hoofdstraat 264, Uithuizermeeden Parking is available at Scherphornhal, School De Prisma and school De Noordkaap. For electric cars, there are charging facilities nearby with space for about 5 cars.
To travel from Groningen city to Kruize Bloembollen at 264 Hoofdstraat in Uithuizermeeden, you should use Google Maps or another route planner for the most up-to-date route and travel time.
- Take the N46 and N361 to Eemshavenweg in the direction of Uithuizen/Uithuizermeeden.
- Follow the signs to Uithuizermeeden and continue on to Hoofdstraat.
If you want to see many tulip fields, it is recommended to plan a route by car.
By public transport
- From Groningen Central station, take a train to Uithuizen.
- From Uithuizen station, you can take a bus or local taxi to Uithuizermeeden, or use the specific public transport journey planner to find the best connection.
- A bike ride to Uithuizermeeden offers a beautiful route through the Groningen countryside. Use a cycle route planner to find the most cycle-friendly route.
To travel by bike from Groningen city to Uithuizermeeden, use the ANWB Cycling Route Planner. It provides detailed routes and is ideal for planning your trip. The exact time depends on the specific route and your cycling speed. For more information on the route and planning, visit the ANWB Cycling Route Planner website.
By special request, walkers and cyclists can receive a medal. For this, the Rotary Club asks for a small contribution to donate as much as possible to charity.
Tips for visiting the tulip fields in Groningen
Finally, some tips for a top experience:
- If you have the opportunity, visit the tulip fields preferably during the week to avoid the crowds. To pick flowers, it is best to go to a picking garden.
- Stay at the edge of the tulip fields to protect the flowers and keep the farmers happy.
- If you want to see many tulip fields, it is advisable to plan a route by car. This is because the tulip fields in Groningen are far apart.
- Avoid the crowds by going on weekdays instead of weekends.
- You are not allowed to walk between the tulips to prevent damage to flowers and bulbs. In a picking garden, however, you can get close and even pick tulips.
- Plukgeluk Grijpskerk offers tulips in spring and in summer you can find summer flowers.
Some tulip fields are accessible by public transport, but for others you might need a car or bicycle. Plan your trip in advance for the most up-to-date connections and times. You can check Sunny Cars or Easyterra to rent a car for a day.
The tulip fields are scattered throughout the province of Groningen, particularly in Uithuizermeeden, Spijk, Oosternieland, and Kloosterburen.
Some tulip fields are accessible by public transportation, but for others you may need a car or bicycle. Plan your trip in advance for the most up-to-date connections and times. You can check with Sunny Cars to rent a car for the day.
The tulip flowering season in Groningen runs from late April to early May, but the exact duration may vary depending on weather conditions.